2011 not only starts a new year but a new decade. We followed a lot of trends in the new millennium, some were great ideas, some…not so much. Here are my Top 9 trends of the decade:
1. Track Suits: Whether velour, cotton or terry, we all wore these comfy pants sets with matching hoodies. Some of us paid $40, while some of us paid $400. We took this high-end workout look and brought it mainstream. What were we thinking?
2. Crocs: I have no words for this except, WTF? How did medical and food industry shoes become acceptable to wear? If you followed this trend, I am sorry. Truly sorry.
3. Ed Hardy/von Dutch/Trucker Hat Look: I think every one attempted this look at least once in the past 10 years. It was cute when Madonna started the trend a few years ago. Now that John Gosselin is wearing it, it’s time for ALL of us to give this look up.
4. Boho Chic: Thanks to the Olsen Twins, we now have the new “boho chic” look which I rock on a regular basis. It combines the effortless Bohemian style with classic pieces. In order to make this look right, don’t forget the “chic” part. The homeless look is never good.
5. Spray Tan: This is a great way to get a sun kissed glow without the risk of getting skin cancer. Just make sure no to go overboard.
6. Hair Extensions: What a great way to add length and volume to your hair style. And now they are more affordable than ever with synthetic options.
7. Cocktail Rings: This is a great way to spice up an outfit in an affordable way. These way large rings say “Hello, I’m sassy!” I hope these stay in style for a while.
8. Ballet Flats: Audrey Hepburn started this trend over 50 years ago and now it’s finally back! Appropriate for both the office and evening out, ballet flats still make our outfits look chic without hurting our feet (he he that sort of rhymes).
9. SPANX: This is one of the best investments to add to your wardrobe. No matter what size you are, Spanx can help smooth lines and tuck everything in. EVERY celebrity wears them. A lot of great inventions came out of this decade like the smart phone, Blu-Ray, etc. , but the best of all in Spanx. If you don’t have them, go out and get them…NOW!
What do you think? What top trends of the past decade did I miss? Which were your favorite? Which ones do you want to forget?